Busting the Lens dictates Focus Speed Myth

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,750Gear list
Like?
Re: Busting the Lens dictates Focus Speed Myth
In reply to Sovern, Mar 22, 2013

I haven't really assessed it except to say that I've never noticed much of a difference UNLESS I fitted a tele-convertor.

Nobody ever says this, except me, but living in Ireland exposes a photographer to a lot of overcast skies. These produce a difficulty for auto-focussing in that there is a reduction in light plus a reduction in contrast. This affect autofocus a lot. If you're shooting in such conditions, try not to have the sky as a background if AF is important.

The best light for AF is what photographers used to call cloudy bright.

AF is an ornery critter. I have a few systems but one is a NEX-7. I bought the 50 f1.8. This has snail-like autofocus in continuous mode which is totally useless for action, BUT if you turn on face recognition in single mode it's fast and fantastically accurate. This makes this combo fab for portraiture..

Not only that but the face frame will move around to follow the face. Huge advantage for portraiture..

That's straying from the point, but interesting..

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
nopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow