>>>> Street Photography eXchange #36 <<<

Started Mar 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
fad
fad OP Forum Pro • Posts: 14,412
>>>> Technique: Let's talk Telephoto

Of my 1500 street photos not yet discarded this year, my WA, normal and tele shots are pretty even --500-400-500.

However, of my *** or better shots, the results are 62-113-111.

Part of that is me, but part is that good WA opportunities are rarer.

Why?

Quantity:   If  you plotted a street photographer, standing still or walking, interesting photo opportunities should to start with be randomly and evenly arrayed in space.   For a given subject size, there will be a much larger number of interesting things going on in tele range, perhaps 4 to 8 times as many opportunities.

Isolation and simplicity:  Many opportunities are poignant and small and do not benefit from context and background.   Like this one I just posted, which is not just a portrait, but tells a story:

Distance and non-interference:

Certain shots work better at a comfortable distance.   Sequences are much easier to shoot if you are not in the subject's face and fade in the background.   This was the part of a sequence of 8 shots that did not affect the scene:

102mm

Faces look better: That's why portraits are usually shot with a tele.  Compression means less distortion.

Perspective is still possible (if the shot is not busy):

Lens quality and bokeh:  Canon and Nikon make excellent telephoto lenses.

85mm, f4

Complex scenes are perfectly feasible (if you avoid overlap):

It's not too late to stop.    70mm

Compression can be cool:

All pictures taken 5/15/2010 with 70-200 VR II and D3s.   Some were underexposed and rescued in post.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow