>>>> Street Photography eXchange #36 <<<

Started Mar 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,081Gear list
Like?
>>>> Technique: Let's talk Telephoto
In reply to fad, Mar 22, 2013

Of my 1500 street photos not yet discarded this year, my WA, normal and tele shots are pretty even --500-400-500.

However, of my *** or better shots, the results are 62-113-111.

Part of that is me, but part is that good WA opportunities are rarer.

Why?

Quantity:   If  you plotted a street photographer, standing still or walking, interesting photo opportunities should to start with be randomly and evenly arrayed in space.   For a given subject size, there will be a much larger number of interesting things going on in tele range, perhaps 4 to 8 times as many opportunities.

Isolation and simplicity:  Many opportunities are poignant and small and do not benefit from context and background.   Like this one I just posted, which is not just a portrait, but tells a story:

Distance and non-interference:

Certain shots work better at a comfortable distance.   Sequences are much easier to shoot if you are not in the subject's face and fade in the background.   This was the part of a sequence of 8 shots that did not affect the scene:

102mm

Faces look better: That's why portraits are usually shot with a tele.  Compression means less distortion.

Perspective is still possible (if the shot is not busy):

Lens quality and bokeh:  Canon and Nikon make excellent telephoto lenses.

85mm, f4

Complex scenes are perfectly feasible (if you avoid overlap):

It's not too late to stop.    70mm

Compression can be cool:

All pictures taken 5/15/2010 with 70-200 VR II and D3s.   Some were underexposed and rescued in post.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow