Anyone try new NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G on D800

Started Mar 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
moony16
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?
Re: Anyone try new NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G on D800
In reply to Mike Wilcox, Mar 22, 2013

Mike Wilcox wrote:

Just got my lens. Took it out in the back and shot the fence at most apertures and focal lengths.

Physical - Incredibly light and reasonably compact. Very similar to the 24-85 but slightly lighter. 77mm filter size which is nice.

Optically:

Sharpness: Excellent at all focal lengths from f/3.5 (f/4.5 at 35) to f/11 with f/5.6 seeming to be the best on my sample.

Distortion: Very little noticed but haven't really checked this out yet. Definitely the least barrel distortion of any super-wide I have ever owned. No correction for distortion or CA on these samples.

CA: slight at edge of frame but easily corrected.

Below is a link to 4 full size jpegs with just normal sharpening and curves adjustment out of LR. Shot with D600. I only provided 18mm and 35mm at wide open and f/5.6 as everything else upt f/11 is pretty much the same. F/16 and smaller is good but starts to fall off a bit due to refraction.

Best Nikkor I have shot with. All shots with D600 at iso 100 on tripod. This is the lens that will stay on the camera.

http://www.openshadowsphotography.com/Other/Nikon-18-35G/28514510_h2qvGd#!i=2416561209&k=ttVXpfX&lb=1&s=A

I tried to reply the other night, but my text would not go through--odd thing.  Well, trying agaiin.  The lens looks nice & the distortions look minimal.  I suspect the lens will be a hit because plenty of us do not need the fastest zooms.  I think most love a lens which is very good wide open.  Best

JT

-- hide signature --

Who looks outside,
dreams; who looks
inside, awakens
Carl Jung (1875-1961)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow