leaving olympus as main brand

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,798Gear list
Like?
Re: ZD lens prices are actually very good right now
In reply to TrapperJohn, Mar 22, 2013

TrapperJohn wrote:

Granted, this is only apparent if you can use and compare the lenses, and not compare just aperture and focal length. But, right now, you can get professional grade fast HG ZD lenses for what everyone else's intermediate/slower lenses are going for.

I've found that getting another lens, especially a very high quality lens, is almost like getting a new camera - you can get shots now that you could only dream of before.

Here in the US, some particularly good deals can be had, courtesy of the uncertainty that the rumor mills and naysayers have generated.

Yes, that is the ONE thing the naysayers and rumor mongers have done.  They have allowed others and myself to acquire lenses we would have otherwise been unable to afford.  I've purchased the 7-14, 14-35, 35-100, 150, 11-22 and 50-200 over the last nine months.  Thank you all, I now have all the lenses I can imagine needing. 

ZD 12-60. Going for $500-550 in good condition. Its closest competitor is a Zeiss zoom that goes for... $1500. And the 12-60 is regarded to be a sharper lens.

ZD 50-200. Older model is typically $500, newer SWD version is maybe $600. This is another utterly superb lens, that's sharp edge to edge, sharp wide open, and remains razor sharp when the light gets dim.

ZD 50 F2. $300-350. One of the sharpest lenses that can be had, at any price. Killer macro lens too, but it can do very well with portraits.

ZD 11-22. Hard to find, but in the $300 range, maybe less, when one does come up for sale. It's a wicked sharp wide angle lens that produces lovely shots. Yes, I'm looking for one.

Mine is not for sale 

I picked up a ZD 35-100 constant F2 last fall for... $1200, in absolutely mint condition. That's less than half what you'd pay for a lens of similar AOV, aperture, and quality from C/N.

That is a truly beautiful lens, worth every bit of the $1,200, or the $1,600 I paid for a new copy.

And a couple of slower SG ZD lenses that are very cost effective:

ZD 9-18, $300 or so when they do come up for sale. Getting down in the ultrawide range with this one, and you can do fun things with ultrawide.

I need to use my copy more often.  With the 11-22 and 7-14, the poor 9-18 is feeling neglected these days.  

ZD 70-300. An underrated lens, typically goes for $200 here. I got one to use on the OMD, it works well, AF's very quickly, and that's less than half what I would have paid for a Panasonic 100-300 that isn't as sharp.

Strong rumors suggest that two new bodies are coming from Olympus by next fall: a new E, plus an OMD-Pro that will autofocus the better ZD lenses quickly. When one or both of those come out, ZD lens prices will probably creep up from increased demand.

So I might suggest that instead of buying another system, try one decent lens for the 420, like the 12-60. Note that you can shoot wide open without worrying about softness, and F2.8 is very nice to have. Open it up in dim light and note how well defined the in focus area is. An APS DSLR with kit grade glass just isn't going to give you that sort of sharpness and exquisite definition.

If you've only used kit grade glass in the past, the 12-60 will be a real treat. Until you've used HG or SHG ZD lenses, you really haven't seen 4/3 at its best.

That is true, and something I did not realize until I purchased the HG and SHG lenses in 2012 and 2013.  SG lenses can indeed give you beautiful shots, HG and SHG can give you those and some stunners along the way.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
carizi MOD
skeys MOD
carizi MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow