? - 27" iMac vs Retina MBP as a desktop machine.

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Questions thread
expireduser
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: ? - 27" iMac vs Retina MBP as a desktop machine.
In reply to DFPanno, Mar 22, 2013

They have similar resolution, both have quad core CPUs that aren't all that different in speed. They both have thunderbolt and USB 3.0 ports. The retina MBP is only available with 8GB or 16GB of memory, while the iMac takes up to 32GB, so that might be a factor in video editing.

The screen real estate vs resolution is very nicely configurable on the retina MBP, but not on the iMac. I spent time adjusting text size larger in all my applications on the iMac so that it was a nice balance, I never wanted to feel like I had to lean forward to read anything.

I would determine whether 16GB memory is enough for you, and then whether you want a laptop or not. I use a 27" iMac and a retina MBP, they are both excellent but the retina MBP is my favorite. The only complaint I can give it is that it's expensive. 7 hour battery life with light use (my personal experience). Print quality screen. Extremely thin and light. Runs very cool and quiet, the fans never become audible when I'm using Lightroom with 24mp raw images.

One often overlooked feature of a newer iMac is that you can use it as an external display.

expireduser's gear list:expireduser's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow