iPad mini as RAW backup

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,248Gear list
Like?
Re: iPad mini as RAW backup
In reply to graybalanced, Mar 22, 2013

Apparently I am not a typical user like many of you here, but on a two week wildlife trip to Japan I shot almost 400GB of images.  I wound up exceeding the capacity of both my internal laptop drive and the 320Gb external drive I brought along and wound up having to buy a bigger external drive. If this had not been a wildlife photo trip, I probably would have shot 1/5 that much, but once again in two weeks.... I certainly would not find an iPad able to meet my needs, especially considering that I always make at least two (and preferably) three copies of every image before erasing the compact flash card.  I, too, would not rely on uploading images to the Cloud (Dropbox or any other on line storage place) overseas.  Internet service is too unreliable to be able to consistently upload lots of RAW images.  The last thing you want to do while traveling is be tied to an internet connection when you ought to be out shooting.  Buy a good laptop and one or two external drives. The benefits will far outweigh any up front cost.

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow