Sigma 70-200 2.8 APO on 5D Mark III - no autofocus?

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ed Velez
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 70-200 2.8 APO on 5D Mark III - no autofocus?
In reply to Ed Velez, Mar 22, 2013

Ed Velez wrote:

Ed Velez wrote:

Patrick94 wrote:

Hello

I have also the similar issue with my SIGMA 70-200 F2.8 APO DG EX MACRO HSM Serial number 1004xxx buy in 11/2006.
I have no autofocus with my new 5D3.
The lense works well with my old Canon 20D

I am also interested to see how SIGMA will find the solution on this problem.

It is not normal to have this kind of situation with a professional lense (not very old only 5 years).

FYI
My old Canon bought in 1990:
EF 35-135 F4 5.6
EF 100-300 F4.5 5.6
work well with the 5D3.

If I must change my lense, I will use only a Canon lense

I am glad I decided to hit up DPR tonight. I have had the 5d3 since November but never had the opportunity to use the 70-200 sigma until today and low and behold...same issue as others here! I thought it was me! So now I need to go check my serial # and other info and see if that lens is going to need to go back for upgrading

I am still contemplating going to a canon 70-200 f4 L if the price is right but I never really had a problem with my lens and 20D either...Thanks guys for posting...helps me out alot and just gotta love DPR for the wealth of info

Just an update...I just checked again and sure enough no autofocus with my lens serial # 1002749 but when I use the sigma apo teleconverter 1.4x EX DG the lens focuses just fine! so I guess I could just settle for a 98-280mm f4 lens or maybe send it back and have my 70-200 f2.8 working as it should.

Final update...I also noticed that when I did use the lens w/o the teleconverter the aperture did not stop down either and couldnt figure out why some shots looked totally blown out.  I took the lens and camera and used the DOF preview button and nothing happened.  Put the TC back on and the DOF preview button and AF both work fine.  So unless I send it back to have Sigma check, I can use it as a 98-280mm f4 lens just fine!

Ed Velez's gear list:Ed Velez's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow