Pana is rumored to plan CFF (compact full frame) for post M43

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,849
Like?
Where did that come from?
In reply to ProPhotoDude, Mar 22, 2013

Panasonic is very strongly behind M43, not just bodies but some rocking lenses, serious lenses. And they own the amateur filmmaker market with the GH line.

Between Panasonic and Olympus, and Sony, and Fuji, the APS DSLR is on its way out. The current 'lower cost' FF bodies - gee, only two grand instead of four - are, to me, as much a desperation measure by the two giants as anything. Their half baked micro efforts only underline this: the game changed, and they just don't get it.

FF - so what? It's not like the Sony RX1 is setting any sales records. Nice camera, fairly small, fixed lens, darn expensive. That's almost Leica price without Leica snob appeal. If you're going to overpay, you might as well get some photographic heritage to bask in.

Seriously, how many of you would actually put ISO57600 to use on a regular basis? Not many, I rarely use 6400. Same with MP - 16 suits me fine right now, don't know why I'd want 32 or 40mp. The larger sensor looks better on paper, but in real world use, the 'two stops advantage' is almost irrelevant because the current best 4/3 sensors are already so good.

Bah - M43, plus a few ZD lenses, keeps me perfectly happy. Micro FF looks more like an excuse for a high price tag, from companies who can't get their head out of the sand, or some place else.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow