Recommend A Large Compact That Is Capable Of Higher Image Quality Than These Photos

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ryder78
Contributing MemberPosts: 546
Like?
Re: Recommend A Large Compact That Is Capable Of Higher Image Quality Than These Photos
In reply to dholl, Mar 22, 2013

dholl wrote:

ryder78 wrote:

Actually I have set my eye on the Canon Coolpix A. Just waiting for the price to come down a bit approaching G1X levels.

That's never gonna happen. The launch price of the G1X was cheaper for a start, and the camera is 2 years older. You'll have to wait 2 years for the Coolpix A to retail at what the G1X retails at now, by which time the G1X will be about half its price.

Buy now, think later.

Or...get a Sony NEX 5N with 2.8/16 pancake

or...get a Olympus E-PL3 with Panasonic 1.7/20 pancake

or...Panasonic GH2 with Panasonic 1.7/20 pancake (bigger camera, pros use it for video)

all these options are easily as good as the G1X or Coolpix A. Better even, as you've got the option to use different lenses.

Well, I"m not expecting the Coolpix A to come down to $500 in a year time. Perhaps $700~800. It's just a matter of time.

I have acknowledged the quality of the G1X, and there isn't any doubt this camera is capable of some superb results especially in low light given its largish sensor. However, the size, form and weight of it are something that don't really do it for me.

I am trying to avoid cameras with interchangeable lenses as I don't want to get sucked into a system later on. Though that perception may change, but very unlikely. All I want is a simple and small camera with an APS-C sensor, preferably a prime without all the extra lenses(or baggage) that come with interchangeable lenses designs. Nevertheless I will look into some of your suggestions.

Cheers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
G1XNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow