Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,957Gear list
Like?
Re: Correct for...
In reply to bobn2, Mar 21, 2013

bobn2 wrote:

richarddd wrote:

BTW, while we're quibbling, "Higher ISO settings result in narrower apertures, faster shutter speeds, and/or more flash power" is correct only if the camera is in an auto mode.

And if you're using auto mode, why worry about these things anyway? One of the things that puzzles me about all this is that cameras have two exposure controls (shutter and aperture) and a 'configuration' control. The various refactoring of these with auto modes don't reduce the number of controls, just reassign them to things that are supposedly easier to understand. What I've never understood why managing exposure using (say) f-number, exposure compensation and ISO (or for that matter program shift, EC and ISO) is supposed to be easier than using f-number, shutter speed and ISO. If you're just using the Auto mode without shift or EC, why worry about what the components of exposure mean.

Convenience. Ease of use rather than ease of understanding.

If the auto mode picks acceptable values, take the picture. If not fiddle with the controls.

Potentially, it saves a step or two. At worst, you're back to setting everything in manual.

A landscape photographer might go into aperture priority mode, set a reasonable ISO and shoot without really caring about shutter speed.

A sports photographer might go into aperture priority mode, turn on auto-ISO with a reasonable maximum, and fire away, occasionally making sure shutter speed doesn't drop too low.

OTOH, if you're doing ETTR, it's not likely the meter will pick good values.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your question.

-- hide signature --

Bob

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow