The Best Portrait Lenses?

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
markprincess
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
Re: What makes the 85 1.4 so
In reply to m_appeal, Mar 21, 2013

m_appeal wrote:

Not as flowery versed on lens stuff as others but I know what I like when I see it. The 85 1.8G was a meh lens to me. Sure it was sharp. The bokeh was good until f/4 then you could start to see octagon shaped bokeh.

The 85 1.4G is sharper at 1.4 than the the 85 1.8G at 1.8. But I think the extra elements, the coatings and whatever special sauce Nikon used also helps. You can believe the people who bought the 1.8 and believe it's better if you want. I'm sure most have never tried the 1.4G and rely on looking at web images to say stupid stuff like "it's not $1,000 better". They are trying to justify their purchase and confirm in their own minds they made the "smart" choice. If you don't use the focal length a lot or on a budget and don't do much portraits then the 1.8G is good enough I guess. But for me I want the best and know since I've looked at large prints from both and the 1.4G is visibly better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow