Leaving DSLR - pros and cons of X-E1 vs OM-D EM-5

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,635Gear list
Like?
Re: Leaving DSLR - pros and cons of X-E1 vs OM-D EM-5
In reply to pavinder, Mar 21, 2013

These 2 cameras often are the final 2 in a choice. It was for me as well.

For nightsky I think the XE1 is a clear winner here. Size of sensor is not something you can make up for with software etc. XE1 is particularly low noise. For long exposure night shots you easily use the EVF for manual focus. Click the command dial once and you get a 3X magnification. This is a great feature of the XE1.

Sample of an XE1 night shot - a very wide panorama of the Milky Way Orion Spiral Arm:

http://www.pbase.com/gregbradley/image/147929628/large

I don't know much about Oly lenses apart from the few that often got recommended but Fuji lenses are in a league of their own. I feel after using them they are a step up from Canon/Nikon and are more to be compared with higher end lenses. They are really well made. They also ooze quality as does the camera. Oly for me was too small and cramped and that turned me off it.

I am very happy with my decision and have had the camera since Christmas and the XE1 tends to be the camera I take with me when I want to take photos.

Good luck with your decision and bottomline is you can't go wrong with either. They are both superb cameras. Too bad you can't just get both.

Greg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow