Nikon D800 + SB910: confused by how off camera flash works

Started Mar 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
summerdream
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D800 + SB910: confused by how off camera flash works
In reply to msjhaffey, Mar 21, 2013

I am assuming by saying "my results are all over the place" you mean exposure wise. Here are two possibilities:

1. TTL: you need to be aware that in TTL mode your flash output will vary from shot to shot, even though not much has been changed. I doubt this is the reason you got underexpose, TTL is not that bad, but switch to manual mode in flash just to be sure.

2. not enough flash power

In 6 pics here 4 of them are clearly underexposed, their exposure settings are f/2.8 1/640s; f/2.8 1/3200s; f/4.5 1/800s; f/11 1/320s respectively. That means your flash in working in high speed sync mode, depends on the distance between flash and you, the flash may not have enough power to illuminate. The other two are f/2.8 1/250s and f/4.5 1/250s (non high speed sync) they seems to have proper exposure. To test this, run the test again in manual flash at full power, repeating the same exposure settings and flash-to-subject distance. You will see why your exposure is off.

summerdream's gear list:summerdream's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow