Started Mar 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,546Gear list
Like?
Canon 100D/SL1 the mirrorless killer?
Mar 21, 2013

Yesterday, there was a thread with the title "New Canons will kill GH3". Today it is gone. There is probably something that the Admins did not like in it. I spent some time searching for it but I think it must have been removed.

I have put into some arguments and also photos about why the new Canon 100D/SL1 is not such a mirrorless killer as Thom Hogan seemed to suggest in his SansMirror blog. I am unhappy all those posts are gone. So, I will post some of them here again, for discussion and the information of anyone who might be worried or get the wrong idea about the size of these cameras in actual use. I thought this information should be helpful.

As for deletion of threads and posts, I have a suggestion that they should remain, although the contents or posts are deleted, with words stating the reason for deletion. That would save a lot of work for us looking everywhere for the disappeared threads. And also give us something for the time we spent submitting our posts. I did not noticed anything untoward in that thread myself, although the title was a little bit sensationalised but really too bad IMO.

First a couple of pictures comparing sizes of the E-M5, Canon 100D and GH3. Thanks to camerasize.com for such a useful tool.

The Canon is still noticeably bigger, while having less features. Click on the picture to enlarge it, and mouse over the camera to get the weight and size in grams and mm etc.

The differences are likely to be much greater when more interesting lenses, like ultra wide, long, or fast lenses are compared. For example, this next picture compare the Olympus and Canon each mounted with a 18-36mm equiv lens. The Olympus lens is slight faster.

Note the Olympus does not have a lens hood. Filter sizes are 52mm and 82mm.

Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow