MS Security Essentials and Windows Defender

Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,495Gear list
Like?
Re: MS Security Essentials and Windows Defender
In reply to skyglider, Mar 21, 2013

skyglider wrote:

Interesting! I always set Windows updates to no auto updates but notify me when updates are available. I hate it when auto updates is enabled and:

1. It starts updating my PC when I do a shutdown for the night before going to sleep. Then I have to wait until the updates are finished or leave my PC running all night.
  2. If an auto update affects something but I wasn't aware that the auto update happened, then it would be hard to determine what caused the problem. OTOH, when I manually do Windows updates, if something goes wrong I might be able to attribute the problem to the last update. (Though truthfully this problem hasn't happened that I recall)

Thanks,
Sky

Since my machine is left on 24/7, I have it scheduled to automatically do updates in the middle of the night.  This minimizes any impact on what I am doing and I don't have to wait for anything.  The only thing it might effect is my backups, which are since being queued to a cloud storage it will just cache and pick back up where it left off after reboot.

As for attributing problems, I usually refer to the Event Logs and update history for that.  MS used to have a fairly set schedule as to when updates were released (unless it was a zero day fix), so it was pretty predictable as to when the machine would get patched (second Tuesday of the month).  But recently they have now broken it up where security patches and fixes still come out on the second Tuesday of the month, but other fixes and improvements may get staggered out to the following week so as to not dump a ton of updates all at once on a machine.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow