Refillable cartridges for the Epson 4900

Started Mar 21, 2013 | Questions thread
Serhat Abaci
Regular MemberPosts: 220Gear list
Like?
Re: Refillable cartridges for the Epson 4900
In reply to TonyGamble, Mar 21, 2013

I have tried HARD with my old precious Epson Stylus Photo R1800 (uses 6 Colors switches beetween matte and photo black PLUS has GLOB for glossy charaterization) only with OEM Cartriges.

Then I had a BIG custom order: scanning old medium format film and re-printig them on 13x19" Paper.

I printed one per Image with the first batch, total was 80 pictures...

then they reorderd nearlly 100 pictures...

Each OEM Cartriges for the R1800 contains 13ml Ink, with apporx 0,5~1ml left after the Ink is stated "empty" due to the chip. I payed 14,- € for each cartrige (GLOB was 8€ each). I spend over whooping 800€ for Ink only but sold everything for over 3000€ (scan job was included here as work too)

After this job the printer paid for himself BUT its a nasty thing seeing how easily you drain such a amount of cartiges within 5 hours printing. So I went to research and bought a Kit provided with refillable cartriges and Ink (100ml each color, 250ml GLOB) for about 150€ that would be like the price for 11 OEM cartriges BUT the inks total amount would count up to 53 cartriges (curious I didnt use the matte black... ) I had to tweak a little with the Epson Color Management since I didn't used and ICC Profiling by that time but the prints did look actually more vivid and fresh, like using a differnt type of negative film. AWESOME.

Time went by I did some professional profiling by mailing in my print to a service lab, after 2 work days I had 2 profiles for two differnt of paper that I used and my images started looking like professional photoprint. I orded another pack of refill inks this time 500ml each that dropped the price astronomically, bought another rarely used R1800 equiped it the same way to have twice the output speed when printing batch photo jobs, but this time it was more "proof" prints for Layouting and stuff then photography....

theses where just my two cents

Serhat Abaci's gear list:Serhat Abaci's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow