Exposure basics, lesson two point one (& ISO)

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,955Gear list
Like?
Re: ETTR - The Quantization Levels Meme That Would Not Die
In reply to Detail Man, Mar 21, 2013

Detail Man wrote:

richarddd wrote:

Speaking of the relation between ISO and noise:

Somewhat counter-intuitively, for fixed aperture/shutter speed, it is best to use the highest possible ISO (without clipping highlights); this result is consistent with the ETTR philosophy, since using higher ISO pushes the histogram to the right if one thinks about things in terms of raw levels (ADU). However, the benefit from the use of higher ISO comes in the shadows, not in the highlights where "there are more levels"; to demonstrate that will require some more detailed analysis of the noise and S/N graphs on page 2.

I think that you need to understand the context of the particular section that you are reading, which - unlike the generalized textual context that I quoted - the relevance of is restricted to "ISO-full" dSLRs of a vintage largely irrelevant to modern Micro Four Thirds image-sensors ...

Some cameras appear ISO-full up to some ISO and ISO-less above that level

I fear that in the hopes of lowering Shutter Speeds, you seem somehow perhaps eternally lost in a world of false enchantments where you are merely futilely chasing the elusive mirage that a reduction of Read Noise on the order of a few tenths of electron-equivalents (past ISO=400, and most certainly past ISO=800) on the E-M5 has any substantive or useful impact whatsoever.

See: http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/RN_e.htm#OM-D%20E-M5_12

Interesting. No relation to what I posted, but what can one do.  In any event, I was expecting a much longer response. I hope this doesn't mean that it's becoming harder to wind you up.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow