Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
Re: Quick correction.
In reply to bobn2, Mar 21, 2013

bobn2 wrote:

The essence of why it's not a good communication aid is here:

bobn2 wrote:

Najinsky wrote:

But later in the course when the different values have become much more familiar, it evolves into something much closer to this as, a recap aid:

from www.wired.com

You've labelled the "ISO' side back to front.

Now, I see you chose to completely ignore that, and instead embark on some rather irrelevant rhetoric. But you they have labelled the 'ISO' side back to front. So, here is a conundrum, a 'communication aid' but one that is communicating the reverse of what actually happens. So, why is that?

The rhetoric is only irrelevant of you wanting to play your little games. If you want to spill your beans to make your point, go ahead and make it. Don't you find it just a little sad you have to play these games to get people to engage you?

Here's what I have to say on the subject of ISO in a beginners course (a public course, paid for by themselves, with the intent of making better photos).

Here's a graph from DPR's camera reviews showing noise performance of a selection of cameras.

This shows, as most review shows, that an increase in ISO leads to an increase in visible noise. This is currently how the impact of the ISO setting is represented, both out there in the real world on sites like DPR and in the images the students take on their own cameras

For sure it isn't the full story, but like all stories, they have a start. And this is the starting point that students already have when coming to the course, they just don't know what the words, are yet. They have night shot images that are blotchy, often from a concert or show where flash photography isn't allowed, or perhaps they forgot to use flash or selected a mode that excluded flash. It was part of my role to explain that the noise was the result of shooting at a high ISO value, and the camera selected a high ISO value because there wasn't enough light (at the selected aperture and shutter speed) to make a normal exposure.

I'm really sorry if you don't like that explanation, but it is what it is. An introductory explanation to why the image looks the way it does.

Whatever you may think, I do understand there is more happening under the hood in this area, but I'm not interested in engaging in that in this thread because this thread is about dissing an introductory communication aid that I found played a useful role. So for this thread, that's the position I'm happy sticking with. No doubt on some other threads we'll engage again, hopefully without the 'so why is that?' games.

-Najinsky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow