CF or SDHC

Started Mar 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Re: CF or SDHC
In reply to tremorhand, Mar 21, 2013

tremorhand wrote:

Just got the 5D3. Why two different memory card types? Is one better than the other?

There are 2 memory cards so one can be used for backup or so that you can write different types of images to different cards. As to why there are 2 different types of cards (rather than 2 cf or 2 sd cards) I assume that there was some savings for them. 2 cf cards would have made the camera larger and probably more expensive. And 2 sd cards would probably have cost Canon some of their buyers since pro type cameras should have a cf card for the extra write speed. I am just guessing, of course.

As to whether or not one type is better than the other, it depends on what you want to do with them. Given equivalent speed cards a camera can write to the cf card faster since there are more data connections and hence more data paths. A cf card has something like 50 data paths and, with the data written concurrently, 50 paths can pass more data more quickly than the 8 paths for the sd card. Given that, the camera can "recover" from several quick images faster with a cf card. And continuous images will write more quickly with a cf card allowing you to be ready for more continuous images with a cf card rather than an sd card.

However most computers today have an sd card reader built-in so you don't need a special cf card reader for copying images to your computer. However, as with the camera, you can probably copy data from a cf card more quickly than from an sd card.

It depends on what is most important to you. I don't know if any of this helps answer your question.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow