Pana is rumored to plan CFF (compact full frame) for post M43

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,894
Like?
Re: Pana is rumored to plan CFF (compact full frame) for post M43
In reply to Ulric, Mar 21, 2013

Ulric wrote:

The Achilles' heel in your argument is the assumption that FF system has to be bigger and/or heavier than an equivalent m4/3 or APS-C system. That doesn't have to be the case: http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/#2

Both APS-C and m4/3 will not survive FF onslaught in the long run. In the short run they will compete on the basis of prices and maturity.

That's what I thought before, but I'm not so sure any more. What is the smallest FF 90/4 lens? Even if somebody were to make a small 90/4 FF lens, what would the advantage be compared to an M.Zuiko 45/1.8 on an MFT body?

Even though equivalent lenses are similar in aperture size and weight, the FF lenses are easier to design and manufacture, which you can trade for better quality or lower price. FF lenses need to provide twice lower resolution, they are less sensitive to imperfections in glass, coatings, less sensitive to temperature effects, mount and assembly tolerances can be bigger.

Finally, I think next crop of sensors will have variable pixel density: higher at the center, lower at the corners. It can be done with pixel binning as well, like the large 41MP Nokia phone sensor. That would match lenses better both in resolution and in angle light is falling on micro-lenses, and will allow better digital zoom and accommodate lenses with smaller image circle. Take such FF camera, set it to m4/3 crop, attach m4/3 lens and you've got exactly the same result as from a native m4/3 format.

That again begs the question, what is the advantage? For something to be "unavoidable", as someone put it, there needs to be a compelling reason, and I don't think there is in the case of something which is neither smaller nor better than what already exists.

Geez, advantages are listed here right before your eyes. Can you read?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow