Senior MemberPosts: 2,853Gear list
Like?
Re: Quick correction.
In reply to Najinsky, Mar 21, 2013

Najinsky wrote:

richarddd wrote:

Dennis wrote:

richarddd wrote:

The more light on the sensor, the less noise but more possibility of blown highlights. Aperture and shutter speed (and available light) control how much light falls on the sensor.

I don't think I'd talk about it in terms of possibility; that suggests a randomness to something that you should strive to control. More light on sensor means less noise; too much light on sensor means blown highlights.

Of course, but I was pointing out the main problem with the wired.com triangle, which didn't even mention blown highlights. It also doesn't mention diffraction as aperture decreases. It both ignores some trade-offs and gets the noise / light trade-off wrong.

It's a recap aid about what the three settings are, in a bit more detail the the introduction aid. Not the exposure bible.

All that stuff gets covered in the course, just not all using that one slide.

Seriously, how sensible is it to judge a whole course on one slide and your assumptions about how it might be getting used?

The slide does not appear to add anything to understanding. Why use it?

On my camera, I can get lower noise (read noise) by increasing ISO, at least up to about ISO 800 or 1600. How does that fit into the slide?

If you're going to talk about noise, why not say that more light on the sensor means lower noise and both aperture and shutter speed control light on the sensor?  It's not a very complicated concept.

-Najinsky

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow