MS Security Essentials and Windows Defender

Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,407Gear list
Like?
Re: MS Security Essentials and Windows Defender
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, Mar 21, 2013

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

All of the reputable research available is in the links that Jim provided. But how about some REAL-WORLD research. Twice my PC was invaded while relying on MSE, I had to use AVG, Malwarebytes and Kapersky to get rid of the infections. IMHO, MSE is no doubt the WORST anti-virus product you can use. If MS paid me to use it I wouldn't.

Stan

I guess it just depends from person to person and what personal safe practices you perform when using your PC.

I've been using it since the day it went public, before that I was using OneCare and Symantec (when it was becoming a bloated mess).  I have not had a single issue with any of my PCs.  It's been so long I can't even remember the last time I have contracted a virus/trojan/malware, let alone one that got flagged after it has done it its damage.  I'd have to say it was probably during my Symantec or early OneCare days since the last time I have seen something like that pop up.

I'll occasionally scan with Spybot or Malwarebytes, finding nothing to be concerned about.

I find it strange how this topic so quickly went from an inquiry about automatic updates to a full on bashing of the product.  The OP didn't ask your opinion about the product, they were asking about the updates it receives.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow