Started Mar 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul Spatafora
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?
How Often Do You Use the Left AF Point?
Mar 21, 2013

I've been reading a lot about the focusing issues with the left AF point. The few here have made a mountain out of that molehill. Congrats on causing the hysteria.

I purchased my D800 at Christmas hoping that I would get a copy that would have resolved all this hysteria, but like some here, I too have had some focusing issues.  My issues were that for some reason, in rare situations, the camera would loose it focus and focus on a new subject. Nikon fixed that but in the process  the camera developed a 1" front focus issue which they repaired this week. I never really looked for it because I usually shoot at 5.6 but I've been reading the threads here and got sucker into looking at it. At 5.6, there's enough DOF to mitigate the 1" front focus. So I do have history with Nikon Service and in most cases patience is required. I have had to have several REDO's on repaired equipment.

In all the years of shooting Nikon bodies, I don't think I ever used the utter most left or right AF points. In fact I didn't even know they existed until I started reading the stuff hear. 99.99% of the time I use the center points of the camera. The center points on my camera after the AF adjustment are very sharp. At 5.6 the issues never came up. By the time I scroll to the outer AF points, I've would have lost most of my shots. Besides, the outer AF points don't read properly in a certain orientations. So you still have to use the center AF points to flip from portrait to landscape to acquire proper focus.

So to those who have been obsessing about the outer AF points, ask yourself the question, "How often do I really use them?" Be honest! I would make sure that the AF point you really use are working for you.

Also, if you're really not happy about the current state of the Nikon offerings and Nikon can cannot repair it to your satisfaction, maybe you'll have change brands.  I certainly wouldn't put up with a camera that didn't meet my expectations. As for the D800, I figure it will be my camera for the next 5 years.

Paul

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow