Leaving DSLR - pros and cons of X-E1 vs OM-D EM-5

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
standor
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Re: Leaving DSLR - pros and cons of X-E1 vs OM-D EM-5
In reply to pavinder, Mar 21, 2013

XE1 is not for everybody. You should not buy XE1:
- if you would like cheap lenses regardless of their quality ( slow and lower level).
- if you need weather sealing
- if you need stabilized also prime lenses ( need in body stabilizer )
(just to mention that NO mirrorless is until now competitive with DSLRs for focusing of fast moving objects -  AF TRACKING )
Fuji Xseries is very good for customer who prefer:
- excelent FAST lenses (current + very attractive 2013 lens roadmap )
- top image quality,
- exceptional camera handling
see Fuji lens roadmap:
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/

If you consider to enter mirrorless and buy more lenses you should think more long term.
All current X lenses are excellent or at least very good, future one are promised in the same quality. End of 2013 we should have much more nice lenses (see roadmap). Zeiss will soon provide its 12mm f/2.8, 32mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/2.8 (all has AF) in Fuji mount. Do you miss some lens in this roadmap? I considered current quality M43 lenses and these seems to me quite expensive. Fuji premium lenses are cca for 650$ and there are very attractive offers if you buy it with camera or buy more lenses together. Future lenses are expected in similar price. If you prefer premium quality lenses, I think end of 2013 Fuji's lens offering will be even better than for M43 from quality and price point of view.
You considered FF camera before, but leaved the idea for its size/weight. I also think that FF IQ is and always will be better than APSC. Similar it is APSC vs M43. EM5 sensor got close to APSC, but later current 24Mp APCS (Nikon D5200) are again more ahead. Simply larger sensor will be always better (sometimes more other times less ). This gap is in some way compensated by the fact that new technology comes first to small sensors ( like EM5-s successful sensor ).
I do not see size,weight,price advantage of M43 over FujiX camera/lenses.
I have XE1, I'm happy with it. But if there would be FF mirrorless system of comparable size&weight&price to FujiX I would go for it immediately. But I do not expect this will happen in next 10 years.
Many argues that EM5 AF system is better, OK I believe, but for me XE1 AF is fine (street foto, use often for playing children indoors ). Looking for Fuji X100S, in next   generation Fuji's AF could be better than M43. But would you then switch the system just from this reason? I not, for sure.

standor's gear list:standor's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow