Exposure Basics, lesson three?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: Quick correction.
In reply to Najinsky, Mar 21, 2013

Najinsky wrote:

However, it is interesting and (would be useful feedback if I were still doing this) that you looked for additional meaning in it. It reinforces the use of the very simple first version for the terms introduction

I just don't see that at all. It seems to me that it reinforces the the fact that the triangle isn't a good indicator for anything. Reading this topic brought to mind my first meeting with this triangle, back when I first started reading about digital photography, going on a dozen years ago.

It was nothing but confusing to me, because, why use a triangle with these arrows going different directions if there's actually not a correlation to be drawn from the three sides of the triangle.

I mean, I knew that there was some kind of relationship between the three things on the triangle, but it's a fool's errand to look at the triangle and try to figure that relationship out.

that's why the triangle makes no sense at all.

and would also warrant a mention in the recap version that the placement is not indicative of anything, just using a triangle to show the capture is encompassed by the three setting.

Generally, graphs and graphical illustrations are indicative of something. They're usually used when a graphical illustration of a concept may be easier to understand than a purely textual explanation of one.

To use a graphical illustration in which the placement of the various things is indicative of nothing (random?) is, I believe, completely unnecessary, misleading and confusing to anyone who is a 'visual learner'.

All at once or nothing at all?

We really have three choices here - incorrect, correct and nothing at all. If I must choose between what you're showing and nothing at all, I will have to choose nothing. I think being ignorant is preferable to being educated stupid (to use an old internet meme).

Simply give them the camera, let them play around with the settings on it, and I think they're more likely to learn what the different things do by practice (if encouraged to practice) than if they're first taught nonsense that they must later unlearn.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow