Started Mar 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rad Encarnacion
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
Questions of comparison: EF-S 60/2.8 macro and EF 85/1.8
Mar 21, 2013

I have been researching the lens lineup for a "first prime" for my 650D/T4i (I only have the 18-135 STM lens at the moment), and I have narrowed my choices down to the EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro and the EF 85mm f1.8, due to my interest in food/product photography and portrait/fashion photography, with portraiture being a bigger interest.

Due to the versatility and image quality advantage, I am currently leaning towards the macro lens, even if it is slightly more expensive than the portrait lens, where I am. However, I am also very interested in the bokeh that the portrait lens is more known for at the f1.8-f2.4 range.

Thus, I would like to ask:

1. On APS-C, is the bokeh of the 85mm when stopped down to f2.8 similar to the bokeh of the 60mm wide open? If they are not similar, which lens will result in better bokeh at that aperture?
  2. When used for portraiture at an aperture of f2.8 and "foot-zoomed" for similar framing of a subject, will these lenses capture the same level of detail or will the macro still capture more detail? (Again on APS-C)
  3. For food and product photography, is a lens hood for the 60mm macro considered optional or unusable?

Thanks in advance for any input the community can provide.

Rad Encarnacion's gear list:Rad Encarnacion's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +3 more
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow