Why use Pentax?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Questions thread
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,698
Like?
Re: Why use Pentax?
In reply to fakuryu, Mar 21, 2013

Regarding the 16-50, I agree that it is a bit weak but you can always get a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which is a very good and sharp lens.

Unfortunately I cannot agree with that. There are two tamron 17-50s. the older non-VC is sharp and cheap, but it has pretty terrible AF, both noisy and inaccurate. The newer version isnt much better but it has VC, and a lot more expensive. I would avoid them both.

The non VC on a Pentax especially on a K30 and the K5/II/s is very fast (faster than the VC) and pretty accurate. I don't know if you were able to try with these bodies.

I have not tried that lens on any pentax body. The reason this lens is inaccurate on Canon is that tamron had to reverse engineer Canon's AF protocol, combined with the fact that it uses micro motor instead of USM, it was setup to fail. But if tamron did not have to reverse engineer Pentax's AF protocol then it may well be more accurate on pentax than it is on Canon.

If that is your case, you should try the K30 and the K5II/s AF tracking.

arent they the same as K5? I have used K5, its Af points are too spread out to have good covering effect when tracking.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BobNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow