Why use Pentax?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Questions thread
fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 937Gear list
Like?
Re: Why use Pentax?
In reply to ultimitsu, Mar 21, 2013

Regarding the 16-50, I agree that it is a bit weak but you can always get a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which is a very good and sharp lens.

Unfortunately I cannot agree with that. There are two tamron 17-50s. the older non-VC is sharp and cheap, but it has pretty terrible AF, both noisy and inaccurate. The newer version isnt much better but it has VC, and a lot more expensive. I would avoid them both.

The non VC on a Pentax especially on a K30 and the K5/II/s is very fast (faster than the VC) and pretty accurate. I don't know if you were able to try with these bodies.

Pentax also has a very sharp 17-70 f4 which is a good travel lens and is also very sharp

I think this lens is one of the few pentax lenses that is actually on par with canikon offering in performance but cheaper in price.

I also used that cheap 50mm from Canon and there really is nothing special about it optically, just the price.

what is special about this lens is that it is super cheaper and super sharp (stopped down), it is a inexpensive way to give new or low budget users a taste of what kind of high image quality is possible with their SLR. Canon offers three 50mm lens and nikon offers 4, different 50mm for different needs. However I do admit Canon has not got it right. My favourite 50mm is Nikon 50 1.8G - cheap, light, crazy good IQ, fast and accurate AF.

There is also a new Pentax DA 50mm f1.8 which is cheap, light, has a fast and accurate AF and is optically very good.

If a 70-200 is needed, you can also get a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 which is optically as good as the overpriced and hyped Canon 70-200L.

As far as 70-200 goes, nothing touches Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS II. the tamron is pretty good but nowhere near its class. But if you cannot use Canon 70-200 on pentax, I guess you would settle for this tamron.

Nope, the 70-200 Canon L is overpriced and overrated. Tried it, used it, not really impressed by it (on a 60D/7D). Since you are a Canon user, you can try the Tamron and will wonder why Canon charges so much for the L.

I am not sure if that is so. D7000 has a 39 point AF while K5 is a 11 point.

Whenever I shoot a friends D3s 70-200 VRII w/ 51 AF points, most of the time I just use the center most point, I also shoot every now and then a friends D40 with 3 AF points w/ no problems. It may be nice to have a lot of AF points but IMHO this is more of a personal preference, I don't have a problem with 11 AF points but there are times I wish there could be a bit more. 11 AF is just fine but the main problem I have with Pentax's AF system is that it is not as pinpoint as Nikon's.

I think you missed the point of having many AF points - it is not really a big advantage for static object shooting, it is useful when you tracking small fast moving object with erratic motion , such as a ball being kicked, or a soccer player, or a bird, etc. I have done many shots using 9 point AF system of 60D and it is very difficult to do this type of tracking using a single AF point.

If that is your case, you should try the K30 and the K5II/s AF tracking.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BobNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow