Coming back to Nex system...6 or 7 based on current pricing?

Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788Gear list
Like?
Re: Coming back to Nex system...6 or 7 based on current pricing?
In reply to joe talks photography, Mar 21, 2013

In the red corner:

• Phase-detect AF
  • Apps and WiFi
  • Cheap

In the magenta corner:

• 24MPixels of fun
  • Tri-navi interface
  • Magenta corners

As for noise, it probably depends on whether you shoot RAW or JPG, and how you process your RAW. YMMV but I used the latest Lightroom as best I could on 16M and 24M NEX ISO 3200 images, and got this:

I don't think there's too much to choose between them, and they both look excellent for that ISO. According to DXOMark the NEX-7 is a fraction of a stop more noisy ... but it's also more detailed, and with noise reduction processing in software you can trade detail for less noise.

I might be tempted to hang on and get the NEX-7n that is rumored to be around the corner, if you can wait and believe in rumors. It should move all of the NEX-6 advantages (apart from cheap) onto the NEX-7 list, and up the performance by 1/2 a stop, settling the which is best at high ISO debate once and for all (until the NEXt camera is released).

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow