Leica Digilux 3 best DSLR for Knowledged photographers

Started Mar 21, 2013 | User reviews thread
fatfaria
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica Digilux 3 best DSLR for Knowledged photographers
In reply to sipa, Mar 21, 2013

Hi,

I would not go as far as 5 but I would give something around the 4.6 mark. I own several 4/3rd bodies and not a Digilux 3 but a DMC-L1 which is basically the same as the D3. I purchased the L1 because, first of all it was available, secondly because of the price drop 2nd hand. I got the body basically for free given that it was accompanied by the outstanding Leica Vario-Elmarit D 14/50. I  just paid for the lens and even that it was cheap.

The camera looks a bit bulky but it handles very well. I  like the color output of the JPEGS (mine has a slightly different tone curve than the D3) but overaal it is the same camera. I got the latest Pana firmware software release and it the camera behaves much better than before.

I like the analogue type controls but I find the vibration reduction system a bit noisy. I prefer the silent version inside my Oly bodies.

As I have several 4/3rds I can switch bodies and lenses between the Olys and the L1 and my Oly Flash 36R does TTL measurement and controls the L1 camera.

Using the same batteries as my Digilux 2 I do not need to carry several different types of batteries when I am travelling with both cameras.

The Leica Vario-Elmarit D 14/50 works very well with the Oly E-3, E-400 and E-1. Great combos!

Very happy, as long as I stay within low ISO settings though!

Best regards,

Fernando

fatfaria's gear list:fatfaria's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow