Camera buying help: Prosumer vs SLR

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,065Gear list
Like?
Re: P.S. Just say no to DSLR
In reply to archsom, Mar 21, 2013
So, by saying no to SLR, does this also mean that I should exclude the mirrorless ones and go wth prosumer models only?

I have two mirrorless (Panasonic Micro Four Thirds) cameras with five lenses for them. Two of the lenses are luxuries (bright primes) but the other three are pretty much an essential to cover from very wide angle to moderately long telephoto. One of those cameras and the three essential (?) lenses cost around $2,000. They're fine cameras and very good lenses, but by no means inexpensive.

The cameras that I currently use almost exclusively are a bridge (Panasonic FZ200) and a compact (Panasonic LX7). Total list price at purchase was around $1,100. I paid less, as you might. Do have a look at the FZ200. It lists at $600, has a most remarkable, bright (wide-aperture) telephoto lens. It's worth a place on your short list, for sure.

You are getting a lot of suggestions. I hope you let me (and us) know what your decision is, if you manage to come to one in the midst this confusion of ideas.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow