MAC users, Aperture 3 or Lightroom 4?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
DaNPrS
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
Re: MAC users, Aperture 3 or Lightroom 4?
In reply to Brian_Smith, Mar 21, 2013

I might be a bit late to the party but personally I prefer Lightroom. I tried Aperture and though it was ok I found that having to deal with Apple's "folder" system or lack there of was a pain. I had to export a pic everytime I needed it and that meant opening the program ...

Lightroom works off of the existing folders and can even create them. backing up is the same story, Aperture you have to back up one large file that only Aperture/iPhoto can read where as Lightroom works off of the conventional folder system found on Windows, Linux and OSX machines. This is the same reason I also left FCP, it's much easier to back up a single folder or to find that one picture without having to open a program to do so. We have a file explorer for a reason the way I see it.

As for performance, I can't really say, once I found out about the issue I menioned above I serched for an alternative and changed to Lightroom so I only had Aperture for 2 months or so. I'm quite content with my decision though. In addition, it's Adobe so if I end up getting Photoshop in the future it should integrate very well.

And if I get a Windows machine I can also transfer all my work much easier then if it was in a proprietary file system. Which I plan on doing, getting tired of the locked down ways of my current PC manufacturer... I do IT

DaNPrS's gear list:DaNPrS's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OkayNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow