*** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 15,590
Like?
this step
In reply to qianp2k, Mar 21, 2013

Now - to the subject at hand ...

Unbelievable to see you twisted my photos.

Look the same as my download. I don't see any manipulation.

It is clear, even with these images (which were shot wide open with the 60D but stopped down one stop with the 5D) that the 60D resolves more detail.

Not true at all provided you don't twist my photos and processed default out of RAW.

Some examples where this is easy to see - be sure to view these at full size to see the full effects ...

1. Look at the detail in the hair, look at the eyes, look at the lips, look at the curved 'frame' around him ...

This is thru your twist and I have no idea how you did that. No idea why you view at 3x or 4x sizes as simply not we view at 100% cropped, not on prints.

60D on left, 5D on right.

Here is the real one at 100% cropped and I upsampling 5D to match to 60D size at 5184x3456 thru CS6 Bicubic enlargement, default from ACR7, 0 sharpening and 0 NR.

Here are steps that everyone can duplicate:

• load CR2 files into Photoshop CS6 or CS7
  • Use default setting, move sharpening bars all the way to left (zero sharpening).
  • Move NR bars all the way to left (zero NR);
  • Now in PS window, upsampling 5D files to 60D size (5184x3456) by using Bicubic enlargement (best for enlargement).

That would be the step you should not have taken (I think). In schmegg's example he simply cropped and posted the original conversion while you re-sampled before cropping and posting. That's perhaps why the difference is more obvious in the straight RAW conversion schmegg showed. Looking at both files in ACR...that seems the case.

• Generate JPEG by using +12 max quality

After resampling.

Anyone can download my original RAW and duplicate the default processing that I used. 60D photo left and 5D photo right

You made the same mistake here. Did you also adjust WB? Thank you again for being so helpful. Much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WhatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow