X10 vs X20 - Dynamic Range, raw & jpeg

Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
tomhongkong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,431
Like?
Re: X10 vs X20 - Dynamic Range, raw & jpeg
In reply to Trevor G, Mar 21, 2013

Trevor

Thanks for putting in the time to show us these.  I know it is easy to be critical of other folks comparison shots, and I hope I am being fair, but I could have got much more out of them if you had focused on something further away.  The nearest verandah post is quite close, and there is little detail in good light which can be used for a comparison. The details of the stones in the track, which are not well lit anyway, soon go to mush and I am not sure how much of this is DOF and how much sensor limitations.

My eye is inevitably drawn to using the better lit telegraph poles or iron signalling (?) structure on the left to make comparisons, and here the X20 shows much better than the X10, if not sharp (and I put this down to the close focus point)

Neither camera shows enough detail in the shadow on the right for me to be comfortable with making a comparison.  Even the verandah post you focused on is not very helpful.

I am also struck by how much better the RAW conversions are than the OOC Jpegs.

Anway, for me it is another pointer that the X20 is better than my X10. but I am not going to rush out and get one just yet...I have a V1 kit with 10-30 and 30-110 waiting for me in the US and want to check that out first.

Thanks again

Tom

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
X20New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow