Started Mar 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
watcher1
Regular MemberPosts: 112Gear list
Like?
Does Anyone Else Miss DOF?
Mar 21, 2013

I started photography with SLRs when they had match-needle exposure meters and everything else was controlled manually. When auto-exposure came along, I always shot Aperture-priority to control depth-of-field and it was easy to isolate the subject. My first DSLR had a crop-sensor (Nikon DX) and I still used Aperture-priority, but getting adequate DOF became a challenge. Now with MTF, it is REALLY challenging. I have had to alter how I frame and expose the subject to get the isolation I need, since DOF alone is usually inadequate.

I am considering moving to Shutter-priority (to get better sharpness..I shoot mostly hand-held) or maybe even to "Program Mode" (shudder...).

So, my question to you all is how have you adjusted your shooting style to accommodate the limitations on DOF with your MTF gear?

watcher1's gear list:watcher1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow