Help me plan a system upgrade...

Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,689
Like?
refresh often, use the coupon codes. ;-)
In reply to Robert Schoner, Mar 20, 2013

Hi Again Jim,

Thanks for getting back so quick,

I missed your comment about the 2 bays. I have accumulated a few hard drives over the years with data on them so I just keep adding. One day I'll get some new, bigger ones and transfer. I think the combination of bays would work for me.

I asked about the PCI slots because I have a Coolscan 4000 that needs a Firewire port. My current ASUS P5B MB has one but I also have a PCI card that I could use if a machine does not have a port.

It looks like Dell has gone almost completely Windows 8. In the Outlet Store I only found one with Windows 7 and that was about $1400 IIRC.

Refresh the listings often (as sometimes they'll change every few minutes, especially when they have coupon codes for more off).

BTW, they have a coupon code for 35% off the XPS 8500 refurbs right this minute.  So, those $1400 machines (which are very loaded) would run you under $1K after the code.

http://www.dell.com/Learn/us/en/22/campaigns/gdo_days_of_deals_dfh?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22&dgc=IR&cid=250066&lid=4705181&delphi:gr=true

But, it expires tmrw.  So, if you want to get that kind of a deal, I'd buy today.

Of course, the better deals are for the $1K boxes (under $700 after a coupon code for a nicely equipped machine with a Core i7 3770, 8GB of memory, 1TB 7200rpm drive, Wireless N, Card Reader, etc. etc. etc.   Then, just add to one yourself later.

That's the way I always buy from Dell (refurbished from Dell Outlet, using a coupon code for more off).  From my perspective, there's no downside, since they have the same warranty as a new machine and you can find some great deals that way.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow