Olympus America Website out of stock on E-5's

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeepit
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus was out of stock on E-5 once before
In reply to Darrell500, Mar 20, 2013

What I found interesting when I sent my E-5 in for service a couple of weeks ago was how they ALWAYS referred to it as my "PRO" body. Yes I know that Oly has always referred to the top tier (E1, E3 and E5) as pro bodies it just seemed as though there was a lot more emphasis placed on the word "pro". I don't know what this means but I'm pretty sure it's not my imagination.

One thing I know is that there are legions of m43rds shooters that are dual system users. What if Olympus could marry the two systems together in a way that allowed you to have your carry everywhere camera and your "pro" body and be able to interchange lenses? I know this would probably mean the death of OVF which I personally don't like but might happen.

This is taken from a PDF put out by PBS on the great innovations by Olympus, I for one can't wait to see what these guys come up with next. I'm sick of all the naysayers so put this in your pipe and smoke it!

Key Business Innovations

Since its founding in 1919, Olympus, a precision technology leader in designing and delivering innovative solutions in healthcare and consumer electronics worldwide, has led the industry in developing various innovations across its business lines. For 85 years, Olympus has been known for pioneering innovation, including Japan’s first microscope and many of the world’s “firsts,” such as the first gastrocamera, the first Microcassette™ recorder, the first compact 35 mm single lens reflex (SLR) camera system, and the first fully designed professional digital SLR camera system, the Olympus E-1™.

Timeline of Innovation

1919 Olympus founded, and one year later, produces ASAHI, Japan’s first microscope. Since the launch of the first model in 1920, Olympus microscopes have become vital to observation at the submicron level, and are found in the leading research laboratories, clinical centers, and educational institutions worldwide.

Today, Olympus clinical laboratory microscopes are used in the U.S. more than any other brand.

1950 Olympus develops world’s first gastrocamera. Mounted at the tip of a flexible tube, Olympus’ miniature camera could record the esophagus and the stomach on film – sparking a revolution in endoscopy. The 1960s saw another Olympus breakthrough with a fiberscope that could transmit the image directly – laying the foundation for minimally invasive endoscopic treatment. Setting the stage for further innovations, Olympus miniaturization technologies, once used for observation, have become the centerpiece of minimally invasive surgery, making treatment less invasive, shorter, less costly and more effective.

Today, Olympus has greater than 70% market share in the global medical endoscope business.

1969 Olympus introduces world’s first Microcassette recorder. In the late 1960s, even the regular cassette recorder was considered innovative, reducing portable tape recorders to devices about the size of shoeboxes. But in 1969, Olympus revolutionized portable recording by miniaturizing the technology and introducing the Pearlcorder. The world’s first Microcassette recorder, this device allowed business people, reporters, and students to preserve the sounds of important moments with a device literally small enough to fit in a jacket breast pocket.

Today, Olympus is the leading manufacturer of digital voice recorders in the U.S.

1972 Olympus releases OM SLR system and establishes itself as pioneer in development of compact SLRs. The Olympus® OM-1 SLR system truly revolutionized 35 mm photography, slimming down the bulky, heavy SLRs of the day into an easy to handle, compact package that influenced future SLR design by leading manufacturers. Soon after, Olympus launched the next-generation Olympus® OM-2, the world's first SLR with a through-the-lens (TTL) direct light metering system, which provided more accurate exposure measurement.

Today, the TTL system developed by Olympus is the gold standard in digital as well as film photography.

2002 Olympus develops world's first DNA computer for gene analysis. Olympus unveiled in Japan the world's first functional computer for gene analysis, combining huge computing power and parallel processing. The result is a high-speed, fully automated process – from sample injection to reaction – to enable quantitative gene expression profiling for research and medical fields, such as genetic diagnosis and drug discovery.

In the future, Olympus' technology may enable customized drug development for target populations, rather than today's mass-demand approach.

2003 Olympus introduces Olympus E-1, world’s first fully designed professional digital SLR camera system. At a time in the digital camera revolution when other leading camera manufacturers were cobbling together digital camera systems from existing film camera components, Olympus created and launched the world’s first professional digital SLR camera system designed to be 100% digital from-the-ground-up -- maximizing performance and delivering unsurpassed image quality.

Today, Olympus continues to set new standards in digital photography.

Of course we can now add liveview and OMD to the list. OK back to photography now sorry for the rant.

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Thanks for the history lesson, informative and an interesting read.  This gives me hope that the technology that's going into the new (supposedly) E7(?) will be tech that CaNikon or Sony hasn't introduced.

I've patiently waited since 2008 to upgrade from my E330 I can wait 6-7 more months.  Hoping this time the camera will be really a technological marvel and not a warmed over sensor camera from somebody's else parts bin.

Jeepit's gear list:Jeepit's gear list
Olympus E-330 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow