35MM vs 50MM perspective, which is best, were to see side by side examples.

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Questions thread
Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 1,965Gear list
Like?
35mm vs 50mm field of View
In reply to thomasw333, Mar 20, 2013

In the earlier 35mm film rangefinder and SLR days major manufacturers called the 50mm a "normal" lens. Some photographers said it was slightly telephoto and liked 45mm better. It was also a relatively inexpensive focal length to produce with relatively good speed (1.4-2.8 range). In the later "point and shoot" 35mm film camera era many fixed focal length standard lenses were in the 32-36mm range. It was nice for family candids and vacation pictures, but introduced distortion when photographing faces close up. My current preferences depend on the subjects and circumstances. My main prime lens is a 35mm on a crop sensor DSLR, equivalent to 52.5mm. Sometimes It seems a little narrow and an equivalent 35mm (around 24mm actual) would be more comfortable for getting everything in. But Nikon hasn't produced a prime DX AF-S lens in that focal length. So I use an 18-55 "normal" zoom except when in low light when the 35mm goes on. Others' opinions will vary.

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow