Selling a news photo in London

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Questions thread
halfamo
Contributing MemberPosts: 603
Like?
Re: I follow the newspaper world fairly carefully
In reply to TonyGamble, Mar 20, 2013
I don't mind getting off my butt - but I do mind wasting my time and that is the reason I started this thread. I had my lifetime chance yesterday.    

To be fair to yourself, you didn't have a lifetime chance yesterday.

You didn't know the incident was going to happen, & you weren't there. Bit like me saying I missed the Kennedy assassination. ( Course I wasn't in Dallas or even America at the time ).

If you did photograph a newsworthy incident & your picture dramatically tells the story, you won't be wasting your time talking to editors. They'll give you a very quick decision. They do it all the time. The worst they say is "not interested".

The NUJ has thrashed out the basic rates. If you had photographed something truly exceptional, like the Kennedy shooting, then a media lawyer is a good idea for the negotiations & syndication.

When Judith Keppel won "Who wants to be a Millionaire" in 2007,  the Daily Mail somehow found out I had pictures of her. They offered £300 a photo printed. As I had been commissioned by her privately, & they were doing a hatchet job on her for being "posh", I turned them down.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow