Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,441
Like?
Help me plan a system upgrade...
Mar 20, 2013

So my Dell XPS420 (Q6600) is starting to struggle with CS6, LR 4 et al and I'm starting to think about an upgrade. It has an excellent storage system which I plan to migrate to the new machine. That comprises of:

* Samsung 840 Pro SSD with 256GB
* Two 1TB WD Blacks
* Various USB2 and USB3 externals

Here's where I'd like to get to:

* Case: Cool, quiet, easy access, and space for at least 4 HDD's

* Motherboard: must have LAN,  SATA ports for 4 HDD's, multiple USB3 ports, and decent on-board audio (I have some excellent 2:1 speakers but don't want to add an audio card).

* CPU: i7 aiming for the price-performance sweet spot. Don't plan to overclock.

* RAM: 16GB

* Video: I like Nvidia drivers and have occasional use for CUDA. Needs to drive a U2412M which is calibrated with a Spyder4/DispcalGUI. Would like 2GB of RAM (have an app that can use it). I'd really like it to be quiet (fanless would be great since my 8800GT drives me nuts). I'd also like to plan for adding a second monitor at a later date. Workload is photo, some video, no gaming.

* DVD: cheap. I'll probably transfer my existing drive

* PSU and Cooling: Whatever. I'd like this system to be quiet but am not going to spend a fortune to achieve silence.

Budget isn't fixed but with careful shopping, I figure this is doable for somewhere around $750-800.

Need some ideas esp. with respect to the MB and video.

Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow