Anyone here left mirrorless for DSLR?

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,461Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone here left mirrorless for DSLR?
In reply to Jim Cassatt, Mar 20, 2013

I have the Fujifilm X-E1 and love it. However, there things it simply cannot do yet. I did a photoshoot with a young model over the weekend. I was experimenting with outdoor flash. To blur the background I was using a Canon 85 mm f1.8 on a 5D MKIII at f2.8. Boy were the images sharp and the background nicely blurred as shown below.

No way I could have done that with my X-E1. The equivalent lens is not out yet, but more importantly, their flash system has no hi speed sync, nor can I see how to trigger multiple flashes and maintain TTL as I did here.

Canon 5D MKIII with 85 mm f1.8 exposed at f2.8

On my NEX 5N there is a native 50/1.8 (so it would be similar to a 75 on your 5DIII at f/2.8) - not too far off of the lens you used. And on an APS-C system like the NEX or X-E1 that should easily be sufficient to get sharp portraits with a blurred background. For example:

And "equivalent lens is a bit of a stretch when just about any legacy lens in existence can be used. If you mean, equivalent and AF then that would be accurate. On the other hand, I am talking NEX and perhaps Fujifilm doesn't have the same selection or perhaps legacy glass doesn't work on the X-E1.

Using the Contax G 90/2.8 at f/2.8 makes for a terrific portrait lens. Sharpness and clarity up the whazoo:

zoom in on his eyes and you can see me standing in front of a window taking this photo - heh

I don't have the best compositional abilities as I am still learning, but the lens and camera combos here are more than satisfactory, I think.

My push towards FF isn't because of image quality in good light; rather, I am more concerned about shooting available light when the light is low.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow