A Cautionary tale for anyone Using Warranty Service from Olympus USA

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Eamon Hickey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,169
Like?
it's just business math
In reply to kgwhite, Mar 20, 2013

It could have been packaged better, but the OM-D is a sturdy camera. With the damge you've shown I don't think any reasonably packed camera would of survived. It would have taken a lot to cause that damage. I have had several cameras shipped in hardly more than a bubble envelope and delivered without a scratch overseas. Not really suggesting anything, but I don't think Oly's packaging as negligence.

I appreciate your experience. You can expect lesser handling with your property if you wish. I expect that when someone is the custodian of my property they will make every reasonable effort to keep it safe. Packing a $900.00 + camera body in a single layer of bubble wrap surrounded by crumpled brown paper doesn't make the grade in my opinion. That is about economy not custodial care.

Not meaning to sound like a noodge here, but everything any for-profit corporation does is about economics, not about custodianship or anything else.

Olympus is simply balancing the cost of packaging and shipping against the cost (monetary and reputational) of replacing damaged cameras -- I'm sure they know exactly what they're doing. They do, after all, ship thousands of optical items every day, all over the world. Nobody on this thread has 1/1000th the experience that they do on that particular issue.

Same for UPS -- there can be absolutely no question that UPS has done meticulous analysis of the costs of using systems that sometimes damage or lose goods (i.e. their warehouse machinery, handling practices, policies of leaving boxes on doorsteps without getting signatures etc.) versus the cost of paying for those damaged or lost goods. Accidents happen; always have, always will. Nobody got hurt in this accident (that we know of). Only a hunk of metal and plastic suffered.

As long as both companies are willing to accept their responsibility when one of their practices results in a damaged item, I don't see a problem. In this case, Olympus behaved impeccably.

A camera is a mass-produced mechanical object, made, in most, cases, by the tens or hundreds of thousands of identical units. They are completely interchangeable and replaceable, with no inherent dignity or value beyond their utility. Nobody knows this better than the companies who make them. If you can save 1% on the cost side of your ledger -- and aren't running any significant risk to your reputation -- by using cheaper packaging materials and replacing the resulting damaged cameras, you do it. It's just business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow