DAM software replacement for IDImager

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
fuego6
Senior MemberPosts: 1,677
Like?
Re: DAM software replacement for IDImager
In reply to MisterBG, Mar 20, 2013

Zoner free seems worth a try, does anyone know if it has geotagging?

Yes, you can assign GPS data or plot a location on Google earth.

-- hide signature --

>The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

Agree.. and it is very well done too.  To be honest - I think it is a really top notch program and the Pro version that I have is well worth the extra $$$.

The only thing to keep in mind with regard to your keyword questions - is how programs handle XMP.  Most of these program will claim to support XMP.. but they do not show the data within the software.  So, you can't see XMP:DC:Photoshop nor can you make edits to it.  For that - Photo Supreme is still.. supreme and really the only program that I trust these days for that type of work.

Unfortunately, your hierarchical keywords will still be written out as flat keywords to basic IPTC (since that field is just a flat list) and most software/websites will still only read from EXIF/IPTC.  Zoner supports Xmp in a similar way but does not support hierarchical keywords - they do not read seperators and create keywords for assignment nor do they write out the keyword hierarchy... kinda stupid if you ask me but so be it.  Lr will handle hierarchical keywords correctly - IPTC gets the end keyword (unless you force parents as well) and the XMP gets the hierarchy..

I'm beginning to rethink my use of hierarchical anyway... hasn't caught on in the world and honestly - there are very few times when I really need my keywords to be that distinct (I don't have many duplicates that get lost in translation).  I also made the mistake of writing the entire hierarchy into my IPTC keywords for movement from Idimager to LR... so now, I have Object|Car in there instead of just Car.  Not a major deal.. and when these are read into a program like Zoner - the hierarchy is sort of recreated.. .but the keyword list gets super long because there is not way to tell zoner to create the hierarchy based on the field.. .and even if I create an XML file to import the keywords and break them... Zoner won't write a hierarchy back out to IPTC (need to see what it does with XMP).

Anyway ... hope this helps!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow