Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tony Rogers
Contributing MemberPosts: 575Gear list
Like?
Any TC advice on D7100 with 300mm f/4?
Mar 20, 2013

I'm a m43 user at present and I am considering the D7100 with 300mm f/4 as a wildlife setup including for BIF. I expect to need a teleconverter but I am unsure of which to choose.

Having read around the forums I know that this lens plus the TC-14EII is considered to be good. I would expect the D7100 AF to work well with this for moving subjects as the maximum aperture would be F/5.6. Is this true? However, I would like more reach.

If I used a TC-17EII, how well would this work for moving subjects? I understand that the centre AF point should work fine with lenses up to F/8. The 300 + TC-17 would be F/6.3. Would that mean that only the centre AF point could be used or that all the AF points might work but might not? Would the AF be slower or inaccurate or both for BIF? With just the centre point or all points with dynamic AF?

I guess there is a similar question with the TC-20III.

I would like to buy the TC-17 (300 * 1.5 * 1.7 = 765mm in FF terms) as this would give me more reach than my current 300mm on m43 (crop factor = 2) but obviously not if it won't work ever. I could accept good performance in good light with poor performance in poor light but not below average performance all the time. I have no experience with phase detect AF systems.

Please help the noob!

Tony Rogers's gear list:Tony Rogers's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow