ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fa4960
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Upgraded to D600 - now need to decide on a telezoom lens
Mar 20, 2013

Hello,

I have been reading a lot threads the last months and I think it is now my turn to ask some advice from all the knowable people in this forum.

I recently sold my D700 and old D80 plus my 18-200 DK and 12-24 DK lenses and bought a D600. I kept my AF-S 50 mm 1.4G lens.

On the D7000 my 18-200mm was my main lens (the 12-24 was a mistake for my kind of shooting and was almost never used) and now I am looking to add something in the zoom range to my FX gear.

I am 100% amateur, mainly shooting my kids and family at whatever they do. If at home and I can get them to sit reasonably still I use my 50 mm but I also enjoy shooting pictures of my son at football (soccer to some of you) and there I always used my 18-200 mm as I find it impossible to zoom with my feet and get close enough to any action with the 50 mm.

I don't travel a lot of long distances with my gear, neither do I shoot landscape or nature other then what I pass during normal point to point trips, i.e. no hiking etc. I normally bring it back to Europe once a year for the annual family Holiday back in my native country but most often I just put it into the car when we go somewhere so weight is not a great concern to me, at least not outside actual shooting action.

I have never had a lens going beyond 200 mm so I don't even know if I am missing out but I do know that I occasionally hit the end of the 200 mm zoom when trying to capture something so I believe that I should also consider something beyond 200 mm.

I am so fortunate that I don't need to worry too much about money but on the other hand I really don't want to "overspend" however at the same time acknowledging from other posts that expensive glass never really seem to be a bad investment if only measured in re-sale value.

In the end I think it boils down to the following (but still open to suggestions):

Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II

Nikon 70-200mm f/4 G ED VR AF-S

Nikkor 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 G ED VR

Your opinion is greatly appreciated and please do let me know if you need more details in order to better advice me.

BR

Frants

Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow