Exposure basics, lesson two point one (& ISO)

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 4,229
Like?
Re: Exposure basics, lesson two point one (& ISO)
In reply to bobn2, Mar 20, 2013
Multi-segment metering is designed to give an exposure different from that which you'd get with an averaging meter. That difference is scene dependent and can be plus or minus.

And when it works right it brings the considerable benefit of not being thrown off by (insignificantly) small but bright areas. The drawback of any "average" is that the extremes have such a big impact. I hope that multi-segment metering tends to go more for a "median" result if it isn't able to determine the scene from its database.

Somewhere I have some comparison shots where I showed that the effect of average metering being so much affected by small extremes at the edge can effect auto-focus performance in the center. That is because of the differences in contrast of live view (on which some focusing algorihtms are based) when even a very veeery slight variation of camera angle allows a bright area to enter the very edge of the frame.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow