Exposure Basics, lesson three?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,218Gear list
Like?
Good post : technique should serve arts.
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Mar 20, 2013

This thread is not so much a continuation, as a relativation of a previous thread that goes into the technicalities of correct exposure:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51096748

While it is important to know and apply the basics of (correct) exposure, the only thing I want to say is that the technicalities have a relative value, and emotional impact has another value.

Let me just illustrate that with two incorrectly exposed images.

Underexposed?

Overexposed?

The language of our photographic art even has developed terms to cover up that kind of mistakes. Those euphemisms are "Low Key" and "High Key".

My point ?

* Learn the basics.

* Learn to apply them

* Then think outside the box of basics and learn when NOT to apply them.

Nice pictures Roel. These are good examples to show that artists are often going out of the box of convetions.

One must learn the basics, but one must remember that the basics are, well,... basic.

If Cartier-Bresson, Ansel Adams, Robert Doisneau, Picasso, Van Gogh, Kusturica, Woody Allen, Jimmy Hendrix, etc. would have sticked to the basics, no one would know their names today.

Of course they learned the basics, but after that they transcended their art by giving their personal touch and interpretation.

In those threads, there's one category of people who consider the basics as a religion. The first thing they look in a picture is if it is well exposed and if there's blown highlights or not, no matter of the subject. Even if a picture is pleasing, artisitic, have high impact, they will trash it if there's a small hint of blown highlights. Up to them. If for them the most important in a picture is perfect exposure, well, fine, let it be. It's pointless to argue with them.

But there's another category who are very interested by technique, mathematics, statistics, etc. They find some enlightment in graphs and measurements. Those people can be very useful : they often find some nice tips and tricks on how to use a camera, and they help others to learn about how cameras works. That's nice and I appreciate it.

In the end, technique is important because it is used by creative people to make arts.

We just have to diffrentiate the debates : technical or artisitc? I like both, but they usually don't mix well

-- hide signature --
 Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow