Exposure basics, lesson two point one (& ISO)

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,573Gear list
Like?
Re: Exposure basics, lesson two point one (& ISO)
In reply to Jack Hogan, Mar 20, 2013

Ulric wrote:

Right, I'm willing to accept that increasing the iso setting on the g3 from 800 to 1600 will reduce noise.

I am not sure I understand.

Depending on implementation details of the g3, increasing iso may reduce read noise. I don't know enough about the g3 to say if it does or not, that's why I write "I'm willing to accept".

What I wondered about was this exchange:

8<---

Case A

Jack Hogan wrote: It appears that if one wanted to capture the very same tonal range from a scene with the EM5 and the G3, same exposure and all, one would have to set the EM5 at in-camera ISO 3200 while the G3 at in-camera ISO 1600, with roughly similar resulting SNR (EM5 slightly better as per DxO).

Case B

On the other hand, if one set both at 3200 maintaining the same exposure they would no longer be directly comparable, but the G3 would appear noisier to a naive observer.

8<---

[car analogy edited out for brevity]

I don't think the speedometer analogy applies, because the manufacturer iso only applies to ooc jpegs and that's not what we're discussing here, is it?

My question is as follows: Is my understanding correct that in your opinion, case A will result in roughly similar signal to noise ratio, while case B will result in a noisier appearance for the g3?

And if the answer to that question is yes, why would that be?

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow