Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 2,088
Like?
LX7 odd lens distortion
Mar 20, 2013

I'm still putting my LX7 through some tests and I have noticed something a little disturbing. On wider angle shots there is some distortion on the left side of the image. It isn't like any distortion I have seen because it appears like a narrow band and is well within the frame. It is unlike the normal distortion you often see at wide angle where it gets softer out to the very edge of the image. I wonder if it is a lens issue or something else. I know it isn't that noticeable until you look at it closely but it does bother me. I have attached a full size image with arrows to mark the distortion area. As you can see everywhere else in the photos it is quite sharp and shows how sharp this lens generally is. This has shown up in varying degrees in many other photos but with this particular photo you can actually make at the shape of the distorted area. The distortion appears to be further in from the edge at 24mm and moving further towards the edge as the focal length increases. I see no evidence of it past about 35mm. It is the same in the in-camera Jpegs and the raw files. I also checked it out in FastStone where it doesn't automatically correct for any image distortion and it still displayed this problem.

For the most part I am extremely happy with this camera but now I am wondering if I should try to get a replacement or not. For many of my shots this distortion is not evident but it certainly is with landscape-type shots like this and is one of the main reasons I bought this camera.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Maybe I am expecting too much but this particular type of distortion seems pretty weird.

On another note, I tried many times, unsuccessfully, to insert this image from my gallery. I had to insert it from my computer instead. So I'm not sure what is going on with that.

Thanks for your help.

-Tim

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow