Why use Pentax?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Questions thread
solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,912Gear list
Like?
A couple of the gents here agree - Re: Why use Pentax?
In reply to Edvinas, Mar 20, 2013

Jake64 wrote:

I am a Nikon user but I am far from a fanboy. My question is, why do people choose Pentax over big hitters like Nikon and Canon? I don't think I have ever seen anyone using a Pentax DSLR in person or in a photo. I have combed through dozens of photos of photographers but they all apper to be using Nikon and Canon products. I also looked into wedding and studio photographers. The ones that do mention what equipment they use, it is never Pentax. Is that initself the allure; that few use it and it feels more special?

I was using Pentax since 2006, however converted to Nikon last year. Conversion reasons were simple - me and my wife started to do professional photography where AF performance is critical, so we switched to Nikon pro gear: D3s and D700.

So, after shooting for one year with Nikon pro equipment (and episodically trying out D7000 and D90) I can say one thing: if we would stop doing commercial photography, we would sell Nikon gear and get Pentax again.

Reasons for this:

• Supreme ergonomics and handling. This is the main Pentax strength for me. None of the cameras I've tried, are on the level of Pentax. Yes you read it right - I think that even Nikon D3s handling is worse than Pentax. Hyper Manual, Hyper Program modes are genius. Other little things are also are better thought out on Pentax, which makes Pentax equipment more convenient to use (for me at least).
  • User interface is better than Nikon. Especially picture review sceen.
  • Compactness. Two words - Limited primes. I prefer going out with a few small prime lenses than one huge zoom lens. Neither Nikon nor Canon do not offer enything like Pentax Limited prime lenses.
  • Better build quality than same price rivals.
-- hide signature --

Edvinas

Looks like a couple of the gents from DPreview agree:

"...the K-5 - arguably the best APS-C DSLR currently on the market." Richard Butler, DPreview

..."personally I'd say that the K-5/K-7 design is one of the very best-handling DSLRs I've ever used - and that covers most of them." Andy Westlake, DPreview.com

-- hide signature --

History would be something extraordinary, if only it were true. Leo Tolstoy
Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.
Noam Chomsky
Science... became scientism, which means it didn't just pursue its own truths, it aggressively denied that there were any other truths at all... Ken Wilbur
At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell
“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984
- - -

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BobNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow